Your time is valuable. Let VATC make those unprofitable title update trips back to the town clerks’ offices for you. We’ll recover relevant information and send you a complete title update and/or mortgage discharge.
After closing, VATC sends an experienced title searcher to the land records to obtain final recording information and conduct a title update. We ensure that all documents are properly executed and recorded and disclose to you the existence of any documents filed during the “gap” period.
We’ll send you an e-mail report of our findings, including a copy of the *mortgage discharge. This allows your office the opportunity to record additional information pertaining to the file prior.
Ordering is easy! PrepExpress users order requests via the software and e-mail. E-mail your request, follow-up the request by mailing a check for the update fee and Schedule A of the policy commitment to VATC immediately after closing. If you are issuing a Short Form policy only (no Owner’s Policy), send the update fee, the Short Form, and CATIC’s portion of the premium to VATC after requesting your update via e-mail.
If requesting mortgage discharge tracking, please indicate the number or discharges on the pop-up box in PrepExpress® or on the update request email (non-PrepExpress users).
- Make one visit to the land records per transaction about 45 days post-closing
- Complete a title update from the Commitment date (your search date) to the recording date of the closing documents
- Confirm proper execution and recording of pertinent documents
- Obtain a copy of the discharge(s) if you are utilizing the discharge tracking portion of the service.
VATC will communicate the results of its search via e-mail to your office. We will provide all final recording information and/or any discovered title issues which may need further attention. If a Corrective Affidavit is needed to correct a reported problem, you may download it here.
- Update only: The cost of the VATC update service is $25 per update. If the property is located in two towns, the fee is $25 per town. These fees are normally assessed to the borrower at closing.
- Update & One Mortgage Discharge: $45.00
- Update & Two Mortgage Discharges: $65.00
- Add $20.00 for each additional discharge to be tracked.
We ask that you kindly remit VATC update/discharge tracking fees via a separate check, and not as part of the title insurance premium. Please make checks payable to VATC and include the property address on the check.